[redland-announce] ANNOUNCEMENT: Redland RDF Application Framework
dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 12:11:20 GMT 2003
The long delayed :) If I was counting major version numbers, this
would be something like V2. Roll on 0.9.13
Redland RDF Application Framework 0.9.12
Redland is a C library that provides a high-level interface for RDF
allowing the RDF graph to be parsed from XML, stored, queried and
manipulated. Redland implements each of the RDF concepts in its own
class via an object based API, reflected into the other language APIs
- Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and Tcl. Some of the classes
providing the parsers, storage mechanisms and other elements are
built as modules that can be added or removed as required.
Redland 0.9.12 is a major release with many changes and improvements
(last was 2002-06-08). The main changes are as follows
* Added contexts
Statements added to Model (when using a Storage that supports
contexts) can take an optional Node, returned by the new
get_context method on Iterator and Stream classes.
This is explained in greater detail in the full release notes:
* The persistent storage format was changed to support RDF typed
literals and this will require an upgrade of any existing
Berkeley/Sleepycat DB stores created by Redland 0.9.11 or
earlier. A utility redland-db-upgrade is provided that creates
an updated store from an existing one.
* Iterator and Stream classes.
The next/get_next method is split into get_object always
returning a shared object and next methods. get_context method
added. (get_object is called current in higher level languaged APIs)
* Model class.
Method add_statement no longer takes ownership of the passed in
statement. The caller now retains ownership.
Method add_statements no longer frees the passed in
librdf_stream; the caller must free it now.
* Node and Model classes.
Added RDF Datatyped Literals. Other literal is_wf_xml
constructors and methods deprecated.
All literals methods and constructors have no mention of the
never-used or supported XML Space argument which hasis not part
of an RDF literal.
* Added a script utils/update-api-0912.pl to help automate the API
changes as far as possible or warn about those that cannot be
* Many portability and compiling fixes (OSX, gcc 3.x, FreeBSD,
* Updated to Raptor version 0.9.8 (RDF/XML and N-Triples parser)
* Java API classes. Add finished() method replacing useless
finalize(). Use Raptor message callbacks to get parser warnings
* Build Java API working around the stupid things recent SWIG
* Make Redland work with BDB/Sleepycat DB v4 (as well as v2 and v3).
* Python API gains pydoc comments and HTML derived version.
* Perl and Python APIs now receive Redland message callbacks.
* Redland URI class now registers with Raptor rather than specially
* Added RDF/XML Serializer class and made higher level language APIs
* Update to Raptor version 0.9.8 (RDF/XML and N-Triples parser) -
see the Raptor NEWS at
for more detailed changes since 0.9.5.
* Added skeleton Ruby and PHP APIs.
* Major source reorganisation.
See also the detailed 0.9.12 release notes at
The release consists of the full sources, RPM binaries and SRPMS
packages for RedHat Linux 7.3. It is also available from the
Redland SourceForge mirror site at http://sourceforge.net/projects/librdf/
The main web site lets you browse and check out the latest version of
the sources in CVS and use Redland in various demos.
I post updates about Redland and Raptor to the redland-dev list
which is one of the lists you can join from the list page at
More information about the redland-announce