[redland] Redland update for Feb 2002

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 12:29:18 GMT 2002

I guess since it has been a few months since the last release
(Aug 2001), I should note what's going on.

Redland 0.9.10 is pretty stable so I haven't been in a hurry to fix it.

At present, the changes to Redland consist of:

 * Updates to the Java (new class names)
 * Python interface improvement
 * Experimental statement grouping support
     (BDB and memory storage only)
 * Some changes to the build system to use libtool to enable
    Redland to build shared and/or static libraries
 * Perl interface modules have been renamed to be below RDF::Redland
     rather than just RDF.  The latter means that it won't clash with
     other RDF Perl modules.

     This is an incompatible change, and I'll provide 'trampoline'
     modules to interface the new/old names for a few versions, and a
     script to convert Perl applications.

     The other benefit of this is:
 * Redland now works as a Perl CPAN-compatible library

So I intend to upload it there at some point

Raptor post 0.9.3 has had a lot more work:

  * N-Triples Unicode escaping completed
  * Build system now using libtool
  * Several bugs fixed - rdf:ID generates right URI, omitted rdf:RDF
    now works, parseType Literal works
  * Parser is smaller - removed container special cases
  * Passes more of the RDF Core WG test suite

but I have a bit more work to do before I'll ship a new version; I
want to add xml:base support, which shouldn't be too hard.

Finally, in project news, I'm considering moving the mailing list to
SourceForge (since the YG! adverts are getting in the way).  Any
comments pro/con on this to me.

Cheers