[redland] experimenting with win32 build of redland via cygwin

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Wed May 22 06:48:45 BST 2002

Apologies if this has all been done before. Google search and skimming
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/redland/ suggests not, although I did
find an #ifndef WIN32 in one of the src files...

Anyway, with some minor fiddling (commenting out refs to 'errno') both
Redland and Raptor build (from CVS) under Cygwin[1] on my Windows2000
laptop.

I grabbed the .exe for the rdfdump command line utility and bundled it up
with the two .dlls it seems to need, see http://tux.w3.org/~danbri/redland/rdf2nt.tar.gz

-- if someone else with access to a windows box could check this works for
them, i'd be grateful.

This all seems pretty smooth. I don't have any other C compilers
available in Win32 execept the cygwin stuff, but it seems just fine. And
all the GNU build tools seem to just work fine.

I've no idea how one would go about bridging a cygwin-built redland with
traditional/mainstream windows stuff (VB, .NET, GUI stuff etc). Presumably
cygwin gcc can be convinced to generate DLLs that can be called from VB
etc? Dunno, not my area... :)

Anyway, should be easy to make some windowsy rdf tools with this, should
anyone feel the urge.

Dan

[1] http://www.cygwin.com/