[redland] experimenting with win32 build of redland via cygwin

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Sat May 25 00:41:32 BST 2002

>>>Dan Brickley said:
>
> Apologies if this has all been done before. Google search and skimming
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/redland/ suggests not, although I did
> find an #ifndef WIN32 in one of the src files...

That's from the WIN32 build of raptor that is used in a couple of
products and some other places.

> Anyway, with some minor fiddling (commenting out refs to 'errno') both
> Redland and Raptor build (from CVS) under Cygwin[1] on my Windows2000
> laptop.

Nice; it is a pretty general library using standard C libraries and
little more.

> I grabbed the .exe for the rdfdump command line utility and bundled it up
> with the two .dlls it seems to need, see http://tux.w3.org/~danbri/redland/rdf2nt.tar.gz

rdfdump is the raptor tool.

The example4 redland program is a pretty-much standalone RDF redland
program that I've been meaning to make more prominent if I can think
of a good name for it - rdfdb?  rdftool?

> -- if someone else with access to a windows box could check this works for
> them, i'd be grateful.
>
> This all seems pretty smooth. I don't have any other C compilers
> available in Win32 execept the cygwin stuff, but it seems just fine. And
> all the GNU build tools seem to just work fine.
>
> I've no idea how one would go about bridging a cygwin-built redland with
> traditional/mainstream windows stuff (VB, .NET, GUI stuff etc). Presumably
> cygwin gcc can be convinced to generate DLLs that can be called from VB
> etc? Dunno, not my area... :)

I understand WIN32 dlls needs some extra support for declaring
exported symbols, so I'm not confident it'll necessarily work.

> Anyway, should be easy to make some windowsy rdf tools with this, should
> anyone feel the urge.

Thanks