[redland] xmltok errors while compiling redland on OS X 10.2.1

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 11:43:32 BST 2002

>>>Steve Ivy said:
> I'm trying to build redland on Mac OS X ...

>From the configure output, I see you are using some post-last release
version of redland (after 0.9.11).  That should have fixes for the
wacky way that OSX compiles and links; in particular, a working
version of libtool.

I assume you are using fink too?

> ... and I'm getting a make error
> while making the xmltok target. This is my first foray into this kind
> of stuff, so I'm not sure how to read what I'm seeing.
>
> This is the final output of ./configure:
> Raptor build summary:
>   XML parser:  expat(system libexpat)
>

> Redland build summary:
>   XML parsers:            expat(source)
>   RDF parsers:            raptor repat
>   Hash digests:           md5(openssl) sha1(openssl) ripemd160(openssl)
>   Berkeley/Sleepycat DB:  Missing
>
> The actual error I'm getting is here:
> Making all in xmltok
> source='xmlrole.c' object='xmlrole.lo' libtool=yes \
> depfile='.deps/xmlrole.Plo' tmpdepfile='.deps/xmlrole.TPlo' \
> depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../../depcomp \
> /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.
> -I../../librdf     -DLIBRDF_INTERNAL=1 -g  -DXML_NS -c -o xmlrole.lo
> `test -f 'xmlrole.c' || echo './'`xmlrole.c
> ../../libtool: ../../libtool: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [xmlrole.lo] Error 127
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> Can anyone tell me 1) what is actually going wrong here, and 2) what
> can I do about it?

Seems odd that libtool doesn't exist at all.  Were you building from
CVS directly or from a released snapshot?  If the former, you may
have a libtool that is too old (however the fink autotools suite is
fine).  If the latter, then I need more information - were there any
error messages in the configure?

It could be Apple changed their odd linking again, so libtool might
need some more fixes.  We don't have an OSX 10.2 machine here, but
the latest snapshot build from
  http://www.redland.opensource.ac.uk/dist/snapshots/source/
I just checked built OK on our OSX 10.1 ibook.

With fink in /sw (and /sw/bin in my path) I did:

  tar xfz redland-0.9.12.tar.gz
  cd redland-0.9.12
  ./configure
  make

The summary I got was slightly different:

Raptor build summary:
  XML parser:  libxml(system 2.4.23)

Redland build summary:
  XML parsers:            expat(source)
  RDF parsers:            raptor repat libwww
  Hash digests:           md5
  Berkeley/Sleepycat DB:  Missing

Different combinations of development headers I guess.