[redland-dev] Storage options and more

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Thu Dec 18 00:05:56 GMT 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 00:30, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > I wonder if it would be a good idea to have the storage code do table
> > creation (with slient failures) when supplied with the "new" parameter
> > - that should make it even easier to use?
> Yeah it could do.  I was wondering what to do with the MySql script you
> gave me.  Just sticking it in documentation didn't seem right.
OK, I'll add some code for this.

> > RSI ideas:
> As I suggesed, maybe the storage level could do the work for you.
> It might be visible to the storage impelentations as new storage
> options. i.e. if I opened a store
> name=mysql://user:password@host:port/db/model then the storage options
> that an librdf_storage_mysql_init would get would be a hash of options
> with key/values name="mysql", user="user" etc. just as if they had been
> passed into it.
That sounds like a really good idea, except perhaps for password prompting
and such. I'm not sure about the best way to handle that, the calling
application would have to construct the RSI somehow.

> However, maybe these parts of the structured name should be separate
> from the options?
Hmm, perhaps the options could override?

> > Perhaps the context should be in the query string instead (definitely
> > not as a fragid)?
> I don't quite get why a context is being passed here; what are you
> identifying? I can't see a BDB store for example could do anything with
> a context passed in at store open time.
I agree that it's not always useful, but when using it like with rdfproc (or
a web service) for a single query it'd be nice to be able to restrict to a
given context easily. OTOH, it should probably be part of the query
language...

Regards,
Morten