[redland-dev] developerWorks article

Miguel Branco miguel.branco at cern.ch
Mon Jul 28 12:52:45 BST 2003

Hi,

Edd Dumbill wrote:
> My latest article at developerWorks may interest folks here, where I
> explain how Redland's contexts can help track provenance of data
> spidered from the web.
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-rdfprov.html
>
> -- Edd

"
Though RSS feeds of weblogs and other Internet sites are interesting
from a browse-around, ego-surfing perspective, I believe the real value
of a project like this is likely to be within the enterprise.
Organizations are excellent at generating vast flows of time-sequenced data.
"

Precisely what I was looking for!

I'm currently working on a project to handle distributed data (just
plain files) with lots of metadata associated with them. The concept you
describe in the article is definitely very interesting. Actually, we
we're planning a prototype implementation of such a system using also
Aggregators and some sort of "context" mechanism (in our case things are
technically a bit differently because we're building the system in a P2P
approach for robustness... still ,logically it's similar). The purpose
is to create a distributed catalog in a "highly robust way" - we're just
beginning to think of an alternative to current "grid" distributed data
management catalogs.

So, just wondering, do you think it's viable to build a distributed
"file system" using the concepts you describe? Actually, it's not (just)
a file system because each file or set of files has huge amounts of
metadata associated to it.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel

PS: Sorry for going off-topic in this mailing list - but we're also
thinking of using redland :)

Miguel Branco, CERN, European Organization for Nuclear Research
ATLAS Computing Group
  Building 40-3-D06, Mailbox E25310, CH-1211 Geneva 23
  Phone: +41 22 76 71182, +41 22 76 71180
  http://msbranco.net