[redland-dev] question on data backend

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 27 11:33:01 BST 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:18:11 +0200
Stephan Stapel <stephan.stapel at web.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > It may make sense, depending on how you want to use it.  You will
> > have to provide the locking for the multi-access at the storage
> > level.  Fine-grained triple-by-triple locking might be expensive
> > however.
>

> thanks for the answer. I was already fearing these locking
> issues. However, I assume that things like that would make sense in
> terms of creating e.g. workgroup applications with e.g. concurrent
> calendar access. Are there any efforts to work on locking in
> conjunction with rdf?

I don't think that it has specifically been called that, but other
RDF applications provide transactions to the rdf stores.  I was
considering how to do that in Redland and it would probably involve a
store expression transaction support maybe via a transaction model.

But you could do this underneath the current api for example by
only locking for example, the model.add_statements(stream)
method - when adding multiple statements rather than when adding
single statements model.add_statement(statement).  This would
be a bit sneaky and may give unwanted surprises - some parts locked,
some parts not.