[redland-dev] Does Redland do inference?

Daniel Elenius danel698 at student.liu.se
Fri Nov 28 16:52:57 GMT 2003

Dave Beckett wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:21:33 +0100, Daniel Elenius <danel698 at student.liu.se> wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>Does redland do 'inferences'?
>>

>No, not yet.  But...
>

>>For example, if I have triples like:
>>
>>(a b c)
>>(c d e)
>>
>>in e.g. (verb, predicate, object) order,
>>can I do a query like:
>>
>>(? b c) and (c d e)
>>
>>that is, "find all ? that have c for property b, where c has e for the
>>property d"
>>
>>and get the answer
>>
>>? = a
>>

>... if you used redland store which did inference, that may let you do
>that kind of question.  The 3store backend is in progress and (in CVS,
>working) will be in the next release and does handle most RDFS
>entailments, which would then answer your question 'yes'.   This
>partially depends on changes in 3store inside their CVS version,
>i.e. they have to make a release first too
>
>Dave

I looked on their Sourceforge page, and it looks like they have lots of
releases (2.2.8 latest)... So what's the problem? When can I expect a
Redland release with 3store?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm investigating the possibilities of
porting a JXTA/DAML+OIL framwork that I've done (in Java) to C (or maybe
C++).

What is it that Redland lets me do that standalone 3store won't do?

Regards,
Daniel