[redland-dev] Raptor Turtle RDFQ test

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Apr 24 23:35:56 BST 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:40:44 +0100 Ian Davis <iand at internetalchemy.org> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Friday, April 23, 2004, 2:26:46 PM, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > So... my quick reading is:
> > 1) The example is valid N3 (and it was written as N3)
> > 2) The Raptor code implements the N3 as defined above.
> > 3) However, the Turtle grammar doesn't seem to allow it!
>
> > I better think about this some more about whether to
> > change the test, raptor and/or turtle.  Currently I'm
> > favouring fixing the turtle grammar.  Or checking what
> > the New N3 grammar says, see
> > http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3
>
> I'd agree that fixing Turtle to be more compatible with N3 is
> desirable. There's some value to be had by keeping Turtle a subset of
> N3 and a superset of NTriples.

Right, I've had a look at the newest N3 grammar and the revised BNF
now forbids trailing ';' and ',' by adding new grammar productions
over the previous definition.  The N3 page changed 2004-04-16 to
switch to the new grammar, as far I as can tell.

Turtle seems to approximate to what Tim calls "n3-rdf"
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/grammar/n3rdf-report.html
  (from http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/grammar/n3-rdf.n3 )
without the literal subjects and rdf path.

> I'm assuming here that you're referring to the N3-rdf grammar which is
> under development rather than the full N3 grammar which appears to
> allow literals as predicates...

and some other things, like literal subjects too.

This probably should move off a redland list since it's more related
to the N3 work than Redland.  I guess it's my fault for not
mentioning where to discuss this in the Turtle docs.

Maybe http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cwm-talk/ ?