[redland-dev] Triple storage overhead

Sébastien Pierre sebastien-lists at type-z.org
Wed Jun 2 09:22:59 BST 2004

Morten Frederiksen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Tuesday 01 June 2004 10:03, Sébastien Pierre wrote:
>

>>What do you precisely call "normalisation" ?
>>

>I was referring to the database theory concept, re functional dependencies
>etc. My major point is, that e.g. a URI is only stored once, with 8-byte
>identifiers identifying them.

That's exactly what I would like to have for my software :)
Would litterals be also stored in this way ?

>You can see the current schema at
>http://www.wasab.dk/morten/2004/04/redland-mysql-schema.sql (even though
>that's not what's supported by the code in CVS yet).

This doesn't look too complicated, and it seems that the answer to my
previous question is "yes".

>I may store between 10 000 and 100 000 triples, so your MySQL storage
>seems interesting.
>

>No problem with that, I'm holding 0.5M triples without problems, and have
>been experimenting with 6.7M.

Do you have an average triple storage overhead, similar to the test I
made here <http://wiki.type-z.org/index.php/Notes/RedlandStorageImpact> ?
If not, I could try to run these benchmarks with your backend.

>>However, I would like to know if it is possible to
>>migrate a storage from the BDB backend to your MySQL backend ? This
>>would be interesting as I don't want to force people to install MwSQL to
>>use my software.
>>

>Interesting indeed.
>
>I actually have a tool/script for that on my list, but haven't gotten around
>to it yet. When I do, would Perl be allright for you?

Perl would be ok as long as it does not rely on specific modules : I
don't want to add another dependency. I would prefer a C program, or
even better, a Python script (so I could incorporate it seemlessly in my
app).
Anyway, if the algorithm is not complicated, I could simply port your
Perl script to Python.

I really like the idea of being able to switch to your backend when the
RDF storage becomes too large, as this is one of my concerns for my
software.

So, could you indicated me how to install/configure your MySQL storage ?

TIA,

 -- Sébastien