[redland-dev] Step by Step Pointer

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue May 11 12:01:29 BST 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:21:19 -0700, "Magdi Henein" <mhenein at sharedspectrum.com> wrote:

> HI Dave,
>
> We are currently looking to implement XG Policy Language Framework which is
> prepared by BBN technologies. The XG Policy Language is expressed in OWL
> ontology. What I need is the following and please note that I am really
> new to XML/RDF/OWL and may not use the appropriate terms.
>
>   1- I need first to parse, validate OWL
>   2- I need to design a Policy Conformance Reasoner which can be
>       populated by taking OWL in triples (i.e. subject,predicate,object)
>       and create the directed graph.
>   3- After loading OWL, radio application software would query and ask
>        the Policy Conformance Reasoner questions.
>
> The development environment is in C++ Linux.
>
> I would appreciate any directions you can provide. Thank you in advance.

I think redland and raptor can help you possible with the initial
steps, providing a RDF api upon which you can manipulate the triples
as well as providing the parsing.

Parsing can mean a variety of things
(I reviewed alternate parsers here:
    http://esw.w3.org/mt/esw/archives/000049.html
)

In this case I expect this is going from OWL written in its
recommended concrete syntax, rdf/xml and then turning that into
triples.  This is what raptor does, as an RDF(/XML) parser:
  input: rdf/xml output: triples

Raptor should compile with C++ and be usable.  It has a few entry
points that you should be easily able to make into a C++ wrapper
class if you prefer that.

Redland can then help you manipulate the triples delivered by Raptor,
store and crate the graphs etc. but it provides no OWL inference
support.   It will have RDF query support soon; I'm just integrating
it into the redland sources.