[redland-dev] Triple storage overhead

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Sun May 30 20:03:29 BST 2004

On Friday 28 May 2004 18:35, Sébastien Pierre wrote:
> I am a Redland newbie and use it through the Python interface. I am
> currently using Redland BDB storage as a backend for a software
> configuration management system I am working on.
> I was surprised to see that storing triples composed roughly of 2 40
> chars strings for subject and object, plus a 10 chars predicate would
> consume 3 to 6 times the total size of these strings on the disk.
This does sound like a classic case of a data model in need of normalisation.

If you store a large number of triples, you might want to have a look at the
MySQL storage engine now provided with Redland (I wrote it), it is highly
normalised, so at least storage wise it should be more efficient.

Regards,
Morten