[redland-dev] Raptor 1.4.2 (and probably earlier) compile problem on OS X

René Puls rpuls+lists at kcore.de
Tue Nov 2 16:47:35 GMT 2004

Dave Beckett wrote:
> Yes, OSX is shipped with broken libxml2.  Don't bother with it.

I wish I wouldn't have to, but since my Redland-ObjC framework is meant
for binary redistribution, it has to use the system libxml2. Actually, I
could embed or statically link a newer version of libxml2, but I'm not
sure if I want that. It would make the framework even larger, and it
would require that I (and everyone else who distributes the framework
with his own application) release updated versions whenever there are
security-related fixes to libxml2.

My current "solution" is to disable the Raptor RSS parser until Apple
provides a non-broken libxml2 by default, but that is unlikely to happen
before 10.4. Of course, if someone really needs the RSS parser under
Objective-C, there's still the option of compiling and linking the
framework manually.

René