[redland-dev] Redland PostgreSQL functions

Michael Nachbaur mike at nachbaur.com
Sat Apr 2 10:31:12 BST 2005

Hello all,

I have recently been playing with the libxml2 support for PostgreSQL -
integrating libxml2 with the database to perform XPath and XSLT
functions against XML content stored in a database - and have had the
idea that perhaps the same could be extended to Redland.

I know there is currently now PostgreSQL database storage support for
Redland, though assuming this were the case, I was thinking it would be
quite an interesting feat to be able to perform SPARQL or other sorts
of queries - or even simply apply primitive RDF queries - against the
database contents from within the database itself.

This would permit RDF queries to be performed from within SQL
statements, from inside stored procedures and triggers, and potentially
be able to represent the result of SPARQL queries as virtual tables.

My C skills are lacking however, so I wanted to know what other
developers here thought of this idea, how feasible it might be, and if
anyone else thinks that node-graph queries of an RDF model would be an
interesting capability to add to an RDBMS?

--
Michael Nachbaur <mike at nachbaur.com>
http://nachbaur.com/pgpkey.asc