[redland-dev] Using Perl Bindings on Shared Host

Chris Murphy chrismurf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:42:10 BST 2005

Hello,
I've written a simple perl script using the librdf bindings, and it works
fine (and as expected) from the shell. My problem is that I am attempting to
use it as a CGI, on a shared webhost. That host did not have redland
installed, so I compiled it from source, along with the bindings. The
problem is that initially the script refuses to run at all, citing that it
can't find RDF/Redland.pm as expected. I solved this problem by adding some
-I /home/myStuff/... parameters to the shebang line.

The problem that eventually stops me dead in my tracks is that DynaLoader
doesn't seem able to find librdf.so.0 when it goes to load the CORE modules
(specifically on line 7 of CORE.pm). I've tried putting the path in a -I
parameter, I've tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the environment, I've tried
playing with @dl_library_path for DynaLoader, though I'm sure I wasn't doing
that correctly. I'm not 100% sure that I've successfully set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
for the cgi, but I've tried several times, including a few ways inside of
the perl script itself (before use 'RDF::Redland'). Does anybody know the
'right' approach to solving this?

Again, the script works fine from the command prompt by setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I can't make it work as a CGI. I'm new to Perl (but it
seems to be the only possible language given my hosting situation) but
relatively experienced otherwise. Thoughts?

- chrismurf

Can't load '/home/[edit]/perl/5.6.1/auto/RDF/Redland/CORE.so' for module
RDF::Redland::CORE: librdf.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory at /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1/DynaLoader.pm line 202.
at /home/[edit]/perl/5.6.1/RDF/Redland/CORE.pm line 7
Compilation failed in require at /home/[edit]/lib/perl/5.6.1/RDF/Redland.pm
line 39.