[redland-dev] library dependancies

Dave Beckett Dave.Beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 08:28:41 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 18:24 -0800, Dave Viner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the unix version, the libraries in redland-1.0.0 have the following
> dependancies:
>
> 	libraptor.so dependsOn <xml-parser-library>
>
> 	librasqal.so dependsOn libraptor.so
>
> 	librdf.so dependsOn librasqal.so
> 	librdf.so dependsOn libraptor.so
>
> In the win32 compilation however, rasqal.dll requires librdf.lib.  I believe
> this is due primarily rasqal_redland.c.

Rasqal requires a source of RDF triples to execute queries against and
this is by default provided by Raptor (parsing library) which reads
content from URIS and provides the triples on demand.  It can
alternatively use Redland (RDF API with storage) source triples from a
redland store, providing faster access due to indexing usually.   I
mostly use this store for testing as it isn't enabled by the default
configuration.

If you compile Rasqal just using rasqal_raptor.c and not
rasqal_redland.c, you won't get that dependency.  The configure / header
settings for this are:

  #define RAPTOR_TRIPLES_SOURCE_RAPTOR 1
  #define RAPTOR_TRIPLES_SOURCE_REDLAND 0

which are usually set if you do configure --with-triple-source=raptor or
when rasqal itself works that out.  It's the default.

> What is the proper set of dependancies?

The *usual* one, in order of dependencies is:
   raptor   requires an XML parser [and optional curl/libfetch]
   rasqal   requires raptor [and optional pcre]
   redland  requires rasqal and raptor [and many optional others]

the testing one is recursive and adds:
   rasqal when used with --with-triples-source=redland  requires redland