[redland-dev] Redland-bindings/Python2.4 on MacOSX

Dave Beckett Dave.Beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 28 22:11:44 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 21:17 +0100, Christoph Görn wrote:

> > Hello all, just to leave the information to the list. I have played
> > arroung with redland and python2.4 (on a MacOSX 10.3.8, out of the
> > darwinports tree).
> >
> > Python2.4 itself works, redland with Apple's Python2.3 also works.
> >
> > I get the following stuff:
> >
> > --- cut ---
> > nostromo:~/src/redland/redland-1.0.0/redland-bindings-1.0.0.2 goern$
> > make
> > Making all in python
> > Making all in test
> > make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> > gcc -g -O2  -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include
> > -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/local/include/db4/  -g -O2   -Wl,-F.
> > -Wl,-F. -bundle Redland_wrap.so `redland-config --libs` -o Redland.so

I suspect it is because I don't know what -bundle means for OSX with
darwinports and I guess that's the problem.  Linking is such a mess on
OSX and related OSes.  Try changing "-WL,-F. -wl,-F. -bundle" to
-framework or to -shared or deleting it or trying something else.

I'm unsure if the current configure guesswork can work out what one
particular OSX linking is right for all circumstances.  see configure.ac
near the AC_MSG_CHECING(Python includes) to see what I mean.

If you can give me a test that distinguishes a) system python on osx, b)
fink python on osx and c) darwinports python on osx and provides all the
correct flags, that'd be good!

:)

<snip/>