[redland-dev] MySQL Storage ready for production use?

Simon Cross simon at sanbi.ac.za
Fri Jan 21 00:18:44 PST 2005

Hi Jan,

> The two most critical aspects:
> - Will the data seamlessly migrate when the implementations is updated
> (is the physical model stable enough?)
> - Will the data be safe?

Migration should be relatively painless even if the underlying MySQL
table structures change.  Just write the storage out to a triples file
and then read it back in again.  Caveat: Adding lots (millions) of
triples to a MySQL store is quite slow.

I don't think anyone is going to be willing to gaurantee that your data
will be completely safe.  Redland seems solid enough to me but that's
not the same as having a few hundred thousand users all using Redland
for business critical data.  The answer seems to be to make good,
frequent backups.

Schiavo
Simon