[redland-dev] "make install" for redland-bindings doesn't install everything?

Lyle Johnson lyle.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:31:17 PST 2005

All,

I'm trying to install the latest versions of the Redland RDF
Application Framework and the Redland Language Bindings (versions
0.9.19 and 0.9.19.1, respectively). The basic Redland package seems to
have built and installed fine, but when I try to build and install the
Ruby language bindings from redland-bindings-0.9.19.1, I don't believe
it's installing everything that's needed.

The "make install" step does install the C extension module (named
"redland.bundle" on Mac OS X) to the proper directory. As I understand
it, that provides a sort-of bare bones layer over the C library. But
it should also be installing (I think) a set of "pure Ruby" libraries
that provide a more object-oriented layer on top of that C extension
module. I can even see these files in the redland-bindings source
tree, under the "ruby/lib" subdirectory; but they don't get installed
during the "make install" step.

Since I was so close, I thought I'd fudge it and just copy those files
to the proper directories. And this gets me a little closer. But then
it turns out that a number of those files make the assumption that the
code has been installed via RubyGems, which is a whole 'nother can of
worms.

So I am at this point trying to get a handle on which pieces I need to
get, and from where. I know that at one point in time, Dominic
Sisneros was maintaining some part of this code in his "rdf-redland"
project over at RubyForge (see http://rdf-redland.rubyforge.org), but
for some reason I'd gotten it in my head that all of his code had been
merged back into the main Redland Language Bindings CVS and that his
old "rdf-redland" project was now defunct (i.e. all of his new
changes, if any, would be made directly in the Redland CVS tree). Is
that the case? No? Somebody clue me in, please...

Thanks for reading this far,

Lyle