[redland-dev] HTTP storage type?

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 14:08:00 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 19:53 -0300, Frank Smith wrote:
> Just thinking out loud... would it make sense to implement an
> 'http' storage type for Redland, alongside mysql, sqlite, ... ?
>
> I'm working on an HTTP-based interface to Redland-based RDF
> stores, using Redland/python/mod_python/Apache.
>
> I was just now starting to write some test code, and it occurred
> to me that a natural way to interface with my HTTP store from my
> Python test code would be to use the Python Redland binding.
> My initial thought was to modify RDF.py to support the HTTP
> storage directly, then my second thought was it would be better
> if the HTTP support were directly in the core Redland, that way
> the various language bindings would 'just work' for remote HTTP
> stores.

There is already an 'uri' storage type which sucks the content of the
URI into a memory store and drops the data once closed.  I never got
round to making it try to HTTP PUT/save the data back once the store is
closed as support for HTTP PUT in the libraries was not always available
(only in curl).

> Of course this presupposes a well-defined protocol for accessing
> the RDF store over HTTP.

That would be the P part of SPARQL - protocol - at least for reading
from RDF data stores.