[redland-dev] HTTP interfaces to RDF models

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 11:42:37 BST 2005

On 7/7/05, netmeld at netmeld.com <netmeld at netmeld.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in developing an HTTP interface for accessing
> RDF models. I'm using Apache2/mod_python/redland on Debian sarge.

For what it's worth, I had a crack at trying to find an easy way of
extending the SPARQL protocol to support graph append/delete:
http://dannyayers.com/archives/2005/07/14/sparql-protocol/

My use case, in case anyone's doing something similar:
The code I'm playing with currently playing with, a 3rd party to-do
list manager app, is built as a browser-local Javascript app, which
currently persists its data inside the browser DOM (have to do
File...Save As to keep the stuff).  I'm just in the process of hooking
that up to a server-side triplestore (Apache2/mod_python/Redland).
I've got a bit of ad hoc glue to pass the data to the store, SPARQL
protocol to retrieve it. At some point I want to ditch the File...Save
As stuff, but still allow offline use. The best alternative I can
think of would be to have a local store with HTTP interface on some
obscure port. I'm not 100% sure of what to use for the local HTTP
server. I've been using Python for the rest of the code so a
pure-Python server will probably be the easiest. But the API for that
will be different than what I've got with mod_python. The obvious
place to make a common interface would be at the HTTP+SPARQL level.

What I'm looking at now I think is just a simple matter of
programming... But what will need some brainwork pretty soon is
user/session management, authentication, access control kind of stuff.
I'm thinking about approaching this using HTTP authentication wired to
a well-hidden model in the store, no idea how feasible that is.

Notes around:
http://dannyayers.com/index.php?s=nextaction&submit=Search+Archives

Cheers,
Danny.