[redland-dev] Messing up bdb

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:58:12 BST 2005

On 6/15/05, Dave Beckett <dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> Yes, redland uses a 2-byte field to store the length of literals
> when it encodes and stores them. Suggestions what to do when it's too
> long  are welcome - probably at the least it should warn.

Ok, thanks. For my own app, cropping would be acceptable (I need to
anyway) but warning would be nice.

I can add
> support for literals with 4-byte lengths if people want them (with a
> new encoding type).

No pressing need over here.

> Note though, that the BDB indexing means that you copy literals
> for every time 'o' (triple object) is mentioned in an index, so
> that means 300K bytes+.

Considerably less pressing need over here...

> Maybe the SQLite store would work a little better as it normalises a
> little, but it's still new so take care.

Right, a Plan C ;-)

The way I've been going recently I'm pretty sure that as and when I
get the bugs/unintentionals (like long literals) out of my code, the
bdb store should be fine for the job.

Thanks once more,
Danny.

--