[redland-dev] Win32 DLL's / shared heap limitations effect on Redland

Suzan Foster su at islief.nl
Tue Mar 8 22:46:10 GMT 2005

On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Dave Beckett wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 07:25 -0800, Brian Holdsworth wrote:
>> I found a past post from last August that eluded to a
>> problem with running Redland on Windows.  Like that
>> poster, I am using all Redland libraries, which I have
>> built as 3 separate DLL files.  It mostly works fine,
>> until I start to create and destroy multiple models
>> using multiple instances of the parser objects.
>> Without getting too specific, it seems that the three
>> DLL's might not be playing nice together.  I may be
>> seeing what the earlier poster claimed, which is that
>> the librdf.dll is trying to free heap memory that was
>> allocated by the raptor.dll.  This causes exceptions
>> under Windows, as the required practice is to have the
>> same DLL both allocate and free blocks.  This is due
>> to the fact that each DLL has its own heap manager.
>
> Yeah, I heard about that.

I.T.Y.M. that the heap manager is in the runtime, not that each dll has
it's own. Brian, i think you need to check if all your dynamic
libraries are linking to the same runtime, including the xml parser,
etc. F.I.: /MD for release and /MDd for debug if you want the
multithreaded runtime libraries linked.

Regards,
Suzan Foster.