[redland-dev] Compiling Redland-Bindings snapshot

Stefano Debenedetti ste at demaledetti.net
Wed Mar 9 18:40:25 GMT 2005

Hi Chris,

chris at prather.org ha scritto:
>>On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 08:54 -0800, chris at prather.org wrote:
>>
>>>Hey,
>>>
>>>Last night I went about building some Gentoo ebuilds to build Redland
>>>from
>>>the snapshots directory. I basically just fudged the current gentoo
>>>ebuilds to point to the right source URL, my ebuilds are available
>>>online
>>>if people are interested.

I was thinking about doing it myself but couldn't find the time so far, so I am interested.

[...]
> Like others, I'm using this for purely development purposes, but I have no
> clue how to teach Gentoo's Portage system to slurp from CVS instead of a
> pre-wrapped tarball. (I'm certain it's possible, but beyond my current
> skills.)

It's very easy, you may want to take a look at the cvs eclass or at some *-cvs ebuild for some other package in the portage tree but shortly:

inherit cvs
ECVS_USER="anonymous"
ECVS_SERVER="cvs.example.com:/cvsroot"
ECVS_MODULE="mymodule"
ECVS_CVS_OPTIONS="-dP"
S=${WORKDIR}/${ECVS_MODULE}
SRC_URI=""

> I ended up passing --with-redland=system in my ebuild which overrides the
> test. I just wanted to know if this was a BadThing(tm) or not.

That's what current (now obsoleted) ebuilds for rasqal and redland do for their dependencies, doesn't seem to be a Bad Thing in itself, the main "issue" of course will be, as you noted:

>I see that
> yes, it could be, just happens that 1.0.1 isn't much different from 1.0.0
> *right now* so it should work, but there's no gurantee of furture
> compatiblity. Thank you.

but I guess this is fine for people willing to try the latest and greatest code.

Thanks, ciao
ste