[redland-dev] size of bdb database

Sébastien Pierre sebastien-lists at type-z.org
Fri Apr 7 00:00:12 BST 2006

Hi Ethan,

Le 06-04-04 à 16:09, Ethan Aubin a écrit :

> I'm experimenting with redland today and having some problems
> creating a store in Berkeley DB.  The owl file I'm trying to import
> is 46 M, but creating a new store has taken about 40 minutes so far
> and the -po2s.db file has gotten over 5.3 gigs.

It's funny, as I myself made some experiments with Redland and the
BDD storage.

> This is on cygwin using redland 1.0.3 and bdb 4.4.  Anyone have any
> idea whats going on? Whats the normal size expansion storing rdf in
> bdb?

My findings were that the storage scaled quite well (both in db size
and in memory consumption), but that each statement as taking *2kb*,
which is really too much. I ran some time ago a series of test which
you can find here (http://wiki.type-z.org/index.php?
n=Notes.RedlandStorageImpact), but sadly, I lost the associated
images and code.

It would be really good to have performance measurements and
comparisons for Redland, between each storage, and compared to
traditional relational databases.

  -- Sébastien