[redland-dev] configure can't find bdb?

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Tue Mar 14 00:53:39 GMT 2006

Eric Hanson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully installed Redland several times but this time I can't
> seem to get it to find berkley db.  I tried it with version 4.4 and it
> would say unknown version, now with version 4.1.25 it's saying it just
> can't find it.  My latest configure string:
>
> mapserve:~/db/source/redland-1.0.3:578 > ./configure
> --prefix=/disk/mapserverdb/redland
> --with-bdb-lib=/disk/mapserverdb/bdb/lib
> --with-bdb-include=/disk/mapserverdb/bdb/include
> --with-bdb=/disk/mapserverdb/bdb

Usually pointing it at the dir --with-bdb=/disk/mapserverdb/bdb
is sufficient to interpret the lib & includes however it might have
trouble guessing what the shared library name is.  In that case try
using --with-bdb-dbname=db44 so it'll use -ldb99 to link to libdb99.so
or whatever the shared library name is.

> results:
>
> Redland build summary:
>   Berkeley/Sleepycat DB   : Missing

the configure output should have several lines telling you what it found
such as here on a working 4.3:

checking BDB version... 4.3
checking location of BDB libs... /usr/lib
checking location of BDB includes... /usr/include
checking name of BDB library... db-4.3
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for BDB V1 dbopen... no
checking for BDB V2 db_open... no
checking for BDB V3/V4.x db_create... yes
checking for BDB V4.0 DB->open with 6 arguments... no
checking for BDB DB->close with 2 arguments... yes
checking for BDB DB->fd with 2 arguments... yes
checking for BDB DB->set_flags... yes
checking for BDB V4.1+ DB->open with 7 arguments... yes
checking whether DB_TXN defined in db.h... yes
checking whether DBC defined in db.h... yes
checking number of arguments to db_cursor... 4

>   Triple stores available : file hashes(memory) mysql(4.1.10)
> postgresql(8.0.3)
>   Triple stores enabled   : memory file hashes mysql postgresql
>   RDF parsers             : raptor(internal)
>   RDF query               : rasqal(internal)
>   Content digests         : md5 sha1
>
> Said bdb contains a normal install of bdb v 4.1.25.
>
> Any ideas?

I can guess why it won't work for 4.4 automatically, as configure.ac
currently says:

    # Sigh!  And this still might not be good enough.
    for bdbc_version in 4.3 4.2 4.1 4.0 4 3.3 3.2 3.1 3 2; do

you can imagine the fix.

Yes, Sleepycat/BDB configuration really has to be this dumb as they
don't ship a configuration program, use pkg-config, or install to the
same place on all platforms.