[redland-dev] help: owl api for a c++ application

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Wed Mar 22 07:01:16 GMT 2006

Monica Gemo wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new to semantic web development and need some help.
> I need an owl API and use it to handle an ontology in a c++ application
> developed in linux ubuntu.
>
> Is Redland library able to support this and the creation of instance owl
> objects?

Redland provides an RDF API; that is: RDF terms, RDF triples and RDF
graphs.  This is based in C and reflected into the binding languages.

There is no C++ API, apart from just using the same C API.  It wouldn't
be hard to write a thin C++ OO wrapper around the C, if somebody wanted
to as the C API is actually object-based.

There is no Redland Ontology API in terms of OWL concepts such as
Ontology, Restriction, and so on.

> Is there an example by Redland showing how to use the owl/rdf API in a
> c++ application?

The examples would just be in terms of C.

> Otherwise, does anybody know of any owl API for c++ applications that I
> could use?

I don't know of a free software/open source one for C++