[redland-dev] Re: Redland Windows build

John C Barstow jbowtie at amathaine.com
Tue May 23 21:58:17 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 13:44 -0500, David @ SoftwareByDavid wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I am trying to build Redland using the Visual Studio 2003 project
> files from Dave Beckett's site.  There seems to be a number of open
> source projects that are missing from the download which I guess I
> understand.  However, there does not seem to be any documentation on
> how to find and include them in the Visual Studio project.  Some of
> the open source projects have changed their version number and the
> paths in the VS project file seems to have specified a specific
> version.

I've been meaning to document that, but of course losing access to my
only Windows machine made that difficult. It is slow and painful and
I've had to reconstruct it myself once already (thus the intention to
document it!)

Beginning with 1.0.3 I was removing any version-specific dependencies, I
think curl and iconv were the last ones to fix.

The main thing is that all of the DLLs *MUST* be built with the same
runtime; I used the multithreaded DLL specifically due to binding
concerns.

For the librdf libraries you need to replace %llu with %I64u due to MSVC
quirk (I think the mysql and postgres storages are all that are
affected).

For my own sanity I put everything at the same level as the redland
directory. If you do differently, you will need to alter the include and
lib paths.

From memory, you need:
libxml2
libxslt
iconv
zlib
Windows versions of all these are maintained on
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html
-- I'm pretty sure I grabbed the libraries from the win32 directory on
the GNOME ftp site, but I could be wrong.

curl - http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
bdb - http://dev.sleepycat.com/downloads/latestreleases.html
pcre - build this as a static library - http://www.pcre.org/
sqlite3 - link to the static library - http://www.sqlite.org/
mysql - delay load to avoid having to distribute; IIRC I used the latest
5.x but any version > 4.0 should be fine.
postgresql - delay load to avoid having to distribute; the latest 8.x
should be fine; I haven't distributed a version with the postgres
storage yet so the win32 config will need some #defines.

Feel free to write me if you run into any problems.