[redland-dev] Re: Questions about the maintenance of librdf binary Packages

Eyal Oren eyal.oren at deri.org
Wed Oct 4 20:19:38 UTC 2006

On 10/03/06/10/06 17:30 +0100, Benjamin Heitmann wrote:
>Hello Dave, and hello to the Redland-Dev mailing list.
>
>I have a few questions regarding the current state of the maintenance of
>binary packages for redland.
>
>Since a lot of the changes between redland versions are not added
>features but fixes for bugs with a high impact, it would be really good
>if the ability to benefit from the fixes would also exist for linux
>distributions which are not unstable or beta, but which are used by real
>end users.
just to make Benjamin's point maybe a bit more clear, some of us
(developing ActiveRDF) are using Ubuntu dapper (current stable Ubuntu
version), but the last version in the dapper repositories is 1.0.2-2ubuntu5
(for librdf0) while the dapper repository on librdf.org is empty.

Installing either the edgy version (1.0.4-1) or the debian unstable version
is not possible without breaking stuff, since they are compiled against
(and depend on) newer versions of libc6 than those used in dapper.

Some bugs have been fixed between 1.0.2 and 1.0.4 (notably in the ruby
bindings) that we depend on, but we cannot use stock Redland packages since
they don't contain those fixes. And if we distribute our work, we don't
know what redland version to depend on and what we should recommend our
users.

Dave, I understand that you are busy, so any help or wise words would
already be appreciated.

 -eyal