[redland-dev] Is Redland thread safe?

Sean E. McBride Sean.McBride at students.olin.edu
Fri Sep 8 04:19:26 UTC 2006

Hey list,

So, I'm working on this webapp that uses Redland as a backend (with the
Python bindings). When I started having multiple people test it, weird
errors started to pop up, like objects would get strangely merged,
morphed, etc. I've been trying to figure out what's going on, and one
thing I hit upon is the fact that the web server is threaded but Redland
might not necessarily be thread safe. If I have a bunch of references to
the same model in different threads and I'm accessing it, adding
statements, etc. should everything work properly?

I was thinking that two "objects" might get merged if you were creating
statements with two blank nodes at a time and they somehow started
referring to the same node. Is a node created with RDF.Node() and then
used in statements guaranteed to be different than another blank node
made with RDF.Node() in another thread?

Has anyone run into problems with this before? I'm just trying to
eliminate possible causes.

- Sean