[redland-dev] RDFS/OWL and reasoning in Redland

Eyal Oren eyal.oren at deri.org
Wed Sep 27 16:34:09 UTC 2006

On 09/27/06/09/06 16:30 +0200, Andre Meyer wrote:
>Hi all
>
>It looks like Redland does not support RDFS or OWL ontologies to enforce
>consistency of a RDF triple store. How could this be achieved, nonetheless? And
>how about using RDF/OWL reasoners?
it is not an answer to your question (I would also like to know about the
possibility of integrating RDFS reasoning with Redland) but I just wanted
to point out:

RDFS (or OWL) reasoning does not *enforce* anything, RDFS reasoning is
completely open-world and only adds triples to a knowledge-base. RDFS or
OWL reasoning is not constraint-based so it will never tell "error, every
person must have a birthday". Instead, if you specify that every person has
a birthday, and we encounter a person without a birthday, an OWL reasoner
will tell you that the person actually has a birthday (albeit an unknown
one).

 -eyal