[redland-dev] [Patch] Disable libcurl Pragma: no-cache

chrysn chrysn at fsfe.org
Sat Dec 1 17:45:15 GMT 2007

On 12/01/07 07:09, rzeno wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:02:12PM -0500, Ben Ranker wrote:
>
>> libcurl by default sends a Pragma: no-cache header on all HTTP requests
>> to prevent web caches from returning a cached version of the file if
>> it's available.
> I think is a bad idea. I never want a cached version of a file, is error
> prone in my opinion.
pragma was the way to do this in http 1.0; http 1.1 (which most web
servers will use by now, i suppose) says its implementation is optional
and suggests using Cache-Control: no-cache.

anyhow, i think it should be up to the server to decide what to cache,
so the server should tell what must not be cached by issuing a
must-revalidate. always overriding cache seems to be bad practice; if
this is necessary in some cases (which often result from badly
configured servers), there should be an option to override cache
(disabled by default).

regards
chrysn

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.32