[redland-dev] Amazon SimpleDB

Mark Cheverton mark.cheverton at ecafe.org
Sun Dec 16 22:37:23 GMT 2007

I'm sure most of you have seen the Amazon SimpleDB web service announcement:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=3D342335011

I was looking at this and thinking that this service could make a great
back-end to Redland. The SimpleDB is essentially more of a large hash store
than a DB and with it's concept of domains could even be considered a
triples store. But you wouldn't necessarily need to go that far since
Redland is happy to work from hash indexes.

I don't know what the performance would be like, but there's the possibility
of an interesting project here, using the massively distributed and scalable
Amazon cloud as a triples store (especially when tied in with EC2 and S3).
I'm afraid I don't have the skills to pull this together, but I thought I'd
throw it out there to see if anyone would be interested in picking it up.

-Mark