[redland-dev] Chickens and Eggs

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Sat Mar 17 05:22:19 UTC 2007

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> I'm trying to get a handle on the build dependencies for the various
> pieces of Redland, as a precursor to doing the MacPorts of the same.
> I'm a little confused about the different configuration options for
> Rasqal, specifically with regards to the "--with-triples-source"
> option.
>
> One option is that the user doesn't care about using Rasqal with
> Redland. In that case, she just configures Rasqal to use raptor (the
> default) as the triples source. This option I understand.

That option is really for debugging only.  You should not make
rasqal [librasqal] depend on redland [librdf].  You must make
rasqal depend on raptor [libraptor], it's required.

I might even remove this option as it's not something you should
use in normal configurations.

> Suppose that she *does* want to use Rasqal with Redland, though, and
> neither Rasqal nor Redland is installed yet. If she builds Rasqal
> first, she obviously can't configure it to use Redland as its triples
> source, and thereby can't take advantage of the "much more efficient
> indexed in-memory store" that the Redland triples source would
> provide. If she builds Redland first, it's not going to see a "system"
> version of Rasqal and so it will use the Rasqal that's bundled with
> Redland -- right? And that will also allow Rasqal to use the Redland
> triples source?
>
> I promise I'm not trying to make this more complicated than it is. The
> main task is to figure out how many different variations to put
> together for MacPorts. So far, the list looks to be (1) standalone
> raptor, (2) standalone rasqal (which depends on raptor) and (3)
> redland (which includes rasqal and depends on raptor).

raptor
rasqal: depends raptor
redland[librdf]: depends rasqal, raptor

(apart from the other dependencies such as curl, libxml etc.)