[redland-dev] Storage Option question (Indexed but not optimized?)

Lou Sakey ljsakey at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 15:30:54 GMT 2008

I have been reading about the different storage options available with the
Redland Libraries and came across several terms that I find confusing.

In the  mySQL and SQLite storage summaries:

Indexed but not optimized.

In the  hashes storage summary:

Indexed.

I do understand the concept of a database index.  However I am not sure what
the "not optimized" is referring to.

Does this mean that using a Hashed Berkeley DB is both indexed and
optimized, and that "mySQL" is only indexed?  What are the application
ramifications to using a non-optimized storage option such as mySQL storage?
Is the "optimized" referring to database read or write performance,  memory
utilization, or disk size requirements?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.