[redland-dev] Building redland-bindings on Mac OS X Leopard

Lauri Aalto laalto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:55:11 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Fabien <xphuture at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm trying to build the python redland bindings under Mac OS X, but it
>  fails dans show the following error :
>
>  http://pastebin.com/f5c431953

In addition to the missing raptor/rasqal libraries pointed out by
Alberto, you also need to link against python libraries to resolve the
missing _Py* references. For some reason, ./configure could not pick
them automatically for you. I don't have Leopard and cannot test
anything on it. Anyway, here's the relevant snippet from configure.ac:

AC_MSG_CHECKING(Python LDFLAGS)
  if test "X$PYTHON_LDFLAGS" != X; then
    AC_MSG_RESULT(using user flags: $PYTHON_LDFLAGS)
  else
    # Guess PYTHON_LDFLAGS if not passed in
    if test `uname` = Darwin; then
      PYTHON_LDFLAGS="-Wl,-F. -Wl,-F. -bundle"
      if $PYTHON -c 'import sys, string;
sys.exit(string.find(sys.prefix,"Framework")+1)'; then
	:
      else
	PYTHON_LDFLAGS="$PYTHON_LDFLAGS -framework Python"
      fi
    else
      PYTHON_LDFLAGS="-shared"
    fi
    AC_MSG_RESULT(guessed flags: $PYTHON_LDFLAGS)
  fi
  AC_SUBST(PYTHON_LDFLAGS)

To me it seems that the `uname` = Darwin test failed and configure
picked up the default "PYTHON_LDFLAGS  = -shared" while it should have
picked up something like "PYTHON_LDFLAGS = -Wl,-F. -Wl,-F. -bundle
-framework Python" which works at least on earlier OS X releases. What
does "uname" say on your system?

Lauri