[redland-dev] Re: [patch] Re: duplicates in model

Michael Stahl Michael.Stahl at Sun.com
Mon May 5 13:57:40 BST 2008

Lauri Aalto wrote:
> 2008/4/28 Michael Stahl <Michael.Stahl at sun.com>:
>>  so, it seems that librdf_storage_FOO_context_add_statement functions do not
>> check for duplicates; methinks they should.
>
> According to the documentation, they shouldn't:
>
> "Duplicate statements can be added when used with Redland Contexts
> such as with librdf_model_context_add_statement"
>
> http://librdf.org/docs/api/redland-model.html#librdf-model-add-statement
>
> So I'd say it's a feature and not a bug. Of course, features can be
> changed too if there's a reason to do so.

aha. so, why is this not documented at librdf_model_context_add_statement?

and why are duplicate statements allowed in contexts, but not (directly)
in models? that seems inconsistent to me.
why would anybody want duplicate statements?

also, i have just checked Sesame 2.0 (openrdf.org), which also has
contexts, and does seem to eliminate duplicate statements added to contexts.

i would welcome a bit of consistency across RDF repository
implementations, given that i am currently implementing an abstraction
layer for them...

michael

--
"So it's now _officially_ all bug-free."
  -- Linus Torvalds (on the release of kernel 2.6.11)