[redland-dev] Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes

Jasper OP DE COUL jasper at infrae.com
Wed Jun 23 11:35:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm using the the python redland bindings in ubuntu lucid

(http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/lucid/python-librdf)

and I'm having problems creating RDF.Node objects from unicode,
sometimes (not always) the following exception occurs:

>>> import RDF
>>> RDF.Node(u'foobarfoobarfoo')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/RDF.py", line 270, in __init__
    args['literal'] = Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(arg)
SystemError: error return without exception set

Looking at Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes, I get

>>> Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(u'foo')
'foo\x00\x00'
>>> Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(u'foobar')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
SystemError: error return without exception set
>>> Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(u'foobar')
'foobar\x00\x00\x00\x00'
>>> Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(u'foobarbaz')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
SystemError: error return without exception set
>>> Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(u'foobarbaz')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
SystemError: error return without exception set
>>> Redland_python.unicode_to_bytes(u'foobarbaz')
'foobarbaz\x00foo\x00'

Is this a bug in Redland, or is it something Ubuntu specific?
I did a manual build using the redland-bindings-1.0.10.1 tarball
but had the same problem.

Regards,
Jasper

--