[redland-dev] Raptor 2 dev state and installing raptor 1 and raptor 2 together.

Wouter Bolsterlee uws at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 31 17:30:54 CEST 2010

Op maandag 29-03-2010 om 22:50 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Nicholas J
Humfrey:
> > I've just realised that raptor2 libraries need to be installable with
> > raptor1, so that existing programs can continue running.  So I'm going to
> > rename and move things.
> >  (This turns out to be similar to how libxml and libxml2 migrated).
> >

> > The main idea is to rename everything to raptor2.  So the first release
> > will be a tarball raptor2-2.0.0.tar.gz and the 'make install' will write
> > to these areas:
> > (libraptor2 on debian maybe)
> > /usr/lib/libraptor2.so.1 -> libraptor2.so.0.0.0
> > /usr/lib/libraptor2.so.0.0.0

> Sounds like a good plan to me :)
> Makes migration easier and the API/ABI change more obvious.

I'm no expert in this area, but is a complete rename really necessary? I
think versions like "raptor2-2.0.0" are rather confusing instead of
obvious.

The parallel-installable versions are a good idea, but perhaps the
approaches used by other mature projects that had major version bumps in
their history are worth checking out. Some examples from the top of my
head:

  * glib (1.x/2.x)
  * gtk+ (1.x/2.x)
  * python (2.x, and also 3),