[redland-dev] Abbreviating URIs in XML Attribute Values

David Phillips dphillips at janya.com
Fri Jun 17 15:11:08 CEST 2011

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response.

I'm working in a context where there is lots of ontology authoring.
Many people use Protege for this purpose.  As far as I can tell, all
OWL that's generated from Protege uses this idiom of abbreviating URIs
in attribute values with custom entities.  I've never really come
across it in other contexts.  I just figured that, given Protege's
popularity in the semantic web world, there might be a chance that
others would be using the same idiom.

The system I'm working on generates both rdfxml and turtle.  The
latter is definitely to be preferred when size and human readability
matter.  Still though, I wouldn't mind getting my rdfxml to be as
minimal as possible.

Thanks again.

-Dave