[redland-dev] Reducing query time variance with cost based planner

Andrew Reslan andrew.reslan at mac.com
Thu Feb 13 05:19:31 EST 2014

As a follow on, I have been looking for a simpler solution.

I have a custom storage to an underlying document store, each document represents a single subject and contains all triples for that subject.

If I have a query of the form:

select * where { ?subject ns1:predicate2 ns2:subject2 . ?subject ns1:predicate3 ns2:subject3 .  ?subject ns1:predicate1 "value1" .  }

From my current understanding and implementation of the custom storage, separate calls to find_statements will be made on the storage, with separate streams being returned and having to be merged by rasqal/redland.

In the case of my custom storage, it is possible in this case to execute a single composite query to find subjects that match all three statements.

This would resolve 80-90% of the slow queries we are experiencing and would cover the initial case where there is a unique match on a string literal, as the composite query would only return a single subject from the one composite call.

As far as I can see this composite approach is not currently supported by storage API.

Extending the storage API would be straight forward, and implementation optional, but I can not figure out if/how to identify this special case from the parse tree and pass it through to a storage that supports it.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Andy