[redland-dev] wrapper for ruby

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 20:52:06 BST 2004

A bit later on and I've had a look at ruby-rdf.  I installed rubygems
0.2.0 but things still aren't working.  It needs 'stringio' so maybe
the ruby I'm using here is too old (1.6.8).  Can you tell me the minimum
version of ruby supported by the base code (excluding Gem) so I can add
it to the configure test?

$ ruby rdf-redland.gemspec
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.6/rubygems/builder.rb:8:in `require': No such file
to load -- stringio (LoadError)        from
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.6/rubygems/builder.rb:8        from
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.6/rubygems.rb:102:in `require'        from
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.6/rubygems.rb:102        from
rdf-redland.gemspec:1:in `require'        from rdf-redland.gemspec:1

You are also using some other ruby modules (gems?) in the test/ dir such
as test/unit which I guess I need to grab.

I took a look at the Redland.i you had in the 0.5 tarball and saw you
made some more changes - exporting a few other functions.  I've added
that to the main CVS, so they should cover what you have, plus some more
since the last release.  See
  http://cvs.ilrt.org/cvsweb/redland/librdf/Redland.i
for the exact changes.

Browsing the class display in http://ruby-rdf.rubyforge.org/
I wasn't sure if you had made the namespace change you suggested in a
previous email.  I'm also curious what the Redland::MergedModel does
since it has a 'smush' method.  I can guess though :)

As an aside, I've got some C code around that does smushing also known
as owl InverseFunctionalProperty

Finally, you do know there is a ruby rdf email list?  It's rather quiet
but maybe we should send a note there:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-ruby/