[redland-dev] wrapper for ruby

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Apr 27 10:28:45 BST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, dominic sisneros wrote:

> Ruby Gems is a new packaging format that is not standard for ruby yet
> but probably will
> be one of these days.  It is available at
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/.  I released another version
> that has both a .gz file and a zip file to make it easier.

Thanks.  I see you are up to 0.5 on
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-rdf/

> Also, I changed the Redland.i file again and am going to need this
> changed.  For all of the
> functions that return char* or NULL like
>
>   /* char* or NULL, need special conversions */
>   %typemap(ruby,out) char *{
>   $result = ($1 == NULL) ? Qnil : rb_str_new2($1);
>    }

I've commited that to Redland.i.  This is great, since I think PHP
needs this also and now I know how to do it.

> As for interacting, I would probably like to have it be seamless either
> way.  I know that
> your site gets a lot of hits so I would like to have the documentation
> generated from rdoc. mixed with
> your site.  I don't know if it would be better for it to just link to
> the rubyforge site or have the main site
> under your cvs repository.  Let me know your thoughts on this.

The docs hosted on the redland site seems a good idea and shipping with
redland is easier for some users.  Maybe keep a copy but also link to the
rubyforge site "for the latest version" ?   I could probably organise cvs
repository access for you to the ruby directory at some point.