[redland-dev] getting redland to build on cygwin

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 14:34:35 GMT 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:40:01 -0800, Adam Souzis <adam-l at souzis.com> wrote:

> I couldn't build redland 0.9.15 with python support on cygwin without
> modifying its python makefile.
>
> Here's what I had to do:
>
> 1. python/makefile.am add these lines to the rule
> $(PYTHON_PACKAGE)-stamp: $(PYTHON_PACKAGE)_wrap.so :
>
>     elif test `uname` = CYGWIN_NT-5.0; then \
>       args=" -shared -L$(PYTHON_LIB)/../config -lpython$(PYTHON_VERSION)"; \
>
> 2. rename the resulting Redland_wrap.so file Redland_wrap.dll
>
> This page helped me figure this out:
> http://www.signal6.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SwigFaq/SharedLibraries
> (see Q: How do I create DLLs using Cygwin?)
>
> It doesn't look you 'officially' support cygwin, but at least this email
> will eventually lead to a google search for "redland cygwin build"
> returning  something useful.

Thanks, although #3 for google right now is a wiki page that tells you some stuff :)

I was pretty sure it built ok in cygwin - at least the C parts - but I don't
recall ever checking the language APIs when I last tried.

I might go with libtool for the python build at some point, it should handle
the OSX/rest of the unixes/cygwin differences.