[redland-dev] Raptor 1.4.3 Test FAILs

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 02:23:06 PST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:46:51 -0500, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:40:31PM +0000, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:18:45 -0500
> > Try 'make uninstall' before starting building to clean out any older
> > system installed libraptor.  Then run configure again.
> >
> > OR, do a 'make install' and then do a 'make check' to ensure that the
> > test programs are linking against 1.4.3 libraries.
>
> Right, as usual. bash history shows that I did indeed run a "make
> uninstall", however, I musta done something wrong because it didn't
> actually work. Tried it again, and everything works fine this time.
>
> Sorry to cause problems. One of these days I'll learn to understand how
> the build process works well enough not to make stupid mistakes.

Thinking about this further, it's probably more subtle than I describe.

In fact it's probably this libtool bug:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2004-10/msg00169.html
which means when you have both an installed and a compiled version of
the same library, libtool messes things up right proper when it links.

This has a fix for libtool 1.5.6
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2004-10/msg00170.html
and reportedly is fixed in the devel 1.9x series.

This is mostly for my info, since it matters when I build releases, not
anything about your system.  So although my debian box has it fixed, the
machine I built the tarballs on (redhat fedora core 3) has an unfixed
libtool 1.5.6.  Oops!

So, sorry about that.