[redland-dev] version automake/autoconf

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 14:42:07 PST 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:29:31 +0100
Harrie Hazewinkel <harrie at asemantics.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am trying to add/fix something in the configure.ac file,
> but it seems to have some unrelated errors.
>
> configure.ac:34: error: Autoconf version 2.58 or higher is required
> aclocal.m4:6483: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
> configure.ac:34: the top level
> autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
> configure.ac: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must be used
> automake: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
> automake: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
> automake: with aclocal and run automake again.
> automake: no `Makefile.am' found or specified

That's a consistency error - your automake version isn't what i
used to make the files in the first place.

> So I need to use 259 for autoconf I guess:
> configure.ac:108: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
>        If this token and others are legitimate, please use
>        m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation.
> That does not solve it, while I believe AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> should be AC_PROG_LIBTOOL I get other errors.
>

> Therefore, I would like to know with which automake and autoconf
> versions arr suggested to use.

I suggest you use the latest versions - automake 1.9 and
autoconf 2.59.  Although those are not the oldest ones supported.
It is best if you run autogen.sh (which is in CVS, not in the tarball.
get at http://cvs.librdf.org/cvsweb/redland/librdf/) to
re-autoconfigure all your sources if you are editing the configure.ac
file.

It might even be wise that you do:
  ./autogen.sh --enable-maintainer-mode

since that enables some extra dependencies in the Makefile that
support automake.  The downside is that it makes the programs emit
lots of debugging too, so once you get something compiling, run
  ./configure
on it's own.