[redland-dev] 3store or MySQL

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Fri Oct 14 04:06:38 BST 2005

Simon Rycroft wrote:
> I was hoping that someone would be able to explain the advantages and
> disadvantages of using the 3store storage method with Redland, rather than
> using the MySQL storage method.
>
> What extra functionality is gained by adding the extra layer to the process?

There are pro-s and con-s of the 3store backend

+ 3store provides RDFS inferencing built in
+ 3store provides RDQL built in
- The 3store backend to redland hasn't been tested much.
- 3store doesn't provide all the redland RDF triples-based API
- redland doesn't pass on RDQL queries direct to 3store but uses it's own

The MySQL backend has it's own feature set.

Some of this is covered in http://librdf.org/docs/storage.html