[redland-dev] 3store or MySQL

Fri Oct 14 17:17:56 BST 2005

On Fri October 14 2005 04:06, you wrote:
> Simon Rycroft wrote:
> > I was hoping that someone would be able to explain the advantages and
> > disadvantages of using the 3store storage method with Redland, rather
> > than using the MySQL storage method.
> >
> > What extra functionality is gained by adding the extra layer to the
> > process?
>
> There are pro-s and con-s of the 3store backend
>
> + 3store provides RDFS inferencing built in
> + 3store provides RDQL built in
> - The 3store backend to redland hasn't been tested much.
> - 3store doesn't provide all the redland RDF triples-based API
> - redland doesn't pass on RDQL queries direct to 3store but uses it's own
>
> The MySQL backend has it's own feature set.

Thanks for the confirmation on this one, from this I think that the 3store
probably provides the functionality that we need (inference).

I've been using the MySQL backend for the past few weeks, complete with the
PHP bindings.  This has been working perfectly for me.  I'd now like to try
the 3store with this, but am having some difficulty connecting to it.  I've
had a look on these lists and elsewhere for examples of connecting to the
3store with redland, but have been unsuccessful so far.  I'm trying currently
to use the command line client rdfproc, can anyone give me a clue as to what
could be the problem.  I've tried the following, always giving the same error.
(The 3store rdf does exist, the rdf2 one doesn't)

$ rdfproc --storage 3store rdf print
$ rdfproc --storage 3store --new  rdf2 print
$ rdfproc --storage 3store --new --storage-options
"user='3store',password='[mypassword]'" rdf2 print
$ rdfproc --storage 3store --storage-options
"new='yes',user='3store',password='[mypassword]'" rdf2 print
$ rdfproc --storage 3store --storage-options
"user='3store',password='[mypassword]'" rdf print

Also tried the above with parse [path/to/rdf/file] rather than print.

Error:
rdfproc: Failed to open 3store storage 'rdf'

> Some of this is covered in http://librdf.org/docs/storage.html
>
> Dave

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,