[redland-dev] PostgreSQL Version Compat

Dave Beckett dave at dajobe.org
Sun Jul 2 16:09:51 BST 2006

Kip Hampton wrote:
> Howdy Redlanders,
>
> We're looking to move our backend storage from MYSQL to Postgres, but
> when re-running configure with the --with-postgresql flag it fails to
> add postgres to the list of available storage options.
>
> configure finds the pg_config utility just fine, but apparently craps
> out when checking the headers. Here's the relevant part of config.log:
>
> configure:23506: checking for pg_config
> configure:23522: found /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config
> configure:23532: result: pg_config
> configure:23544: checking for postgresql library
> configure:23708: result: no
>
> I looked in configure.ac to see if it was something obvious, but I
> honestly didn't get far.

I can't really tell from that.  The test in configure for pg_config looks
wrong, as it also tests for pkg-config being present, but it isn't needed here.

If you install pkg-config, it would probably get around this.  Either that
or edit the line in configure from:
  if test "X$PG_CONFIG" != X -a "X$PKG_CONFIG" != X ; then
to read:
  if test "X$PG_CONFIG" != X  ; then

If that doesn't work, let me know what exactly was your complete configure
argument line and include the full printed output of a configure run.

> I'm building against a fresh install of PostgreSQL version 8.1.4 on OS X
> 10.4.6. Does the postgres backend expect a specific Pg version?

Uh oh, OSX.  I shall have to start charging for OSX questions.

I don't really use postgresql myself, others on the list might give info on
versions that work or not.